Table 3B.

Fallopian tube nuclear classification matrix for the LDA to distinguish placebo-treated and levonorgestrel-treated versus normal controls, showing percent correct matching of true versus karyometry-predicted classificationa

Karyometry-predicted classification
True classificationPlacebo-treatedNormal controls
Placebo-treated60.9%39.1%
Normal controls34.0%66.0%
Levonorgestrel-treatedNormal controls
Levonorgestrel-treated48.1%51.9%
Normal controls34.0%66.0%
  • aThere are four 2-by-2 classification matrices in Tables 3A and 3B, which are used to evaluate the classification accuracy of the proposed karyometric analysis under four scenarios. Following is an explanation of how the four entries of the first 2-by-2 matrix in Table 3A are interpreted, and then those of the remaining three matrices are interpreted in a similar way. In the first classification matrix, four entries are respectively: the top row 84.5%, 15.5%, the bottom row 25.3%, and 74.7%, which are used to show the accuracy of the karyometric method in discriminating two types of ovarian tissues, placebo-treated tissues (type 1) versus normal controls (type 0). In the top row, the first entry, 84.5%, is called the true positive rate, which is calculated as the percentage of the tissues belonging to type 1, which are correctly predicted as type 1 by the karyometry method; the second entry, 15.5%, is called the false negative rate, which is calculated as the percentage of the cases in type 1, which are incorrectly predicted as type 0 by the karyometry classifier. For the placebo-treated tissues, the karyometric analysis can correctly predict 84.5% of them (as placebo-treated tissue) and incorrectly predict 15.5% of them (as normal controls). In the second row, the first entry 25.3% is called the false positive rate, which is calculated as the percentage of the tissues belonging to type 0, which are incorrectly predicted as type 1 by the karyometric method; the second entry 74.7% is called the true negative rate, which is calculated as the percentage of the cases in type 0 that are correctly predicted as type 0 by the karyometry method. For the normal control tissues, the karyometric analysis predicts 25.3% of them incorrectly (as placebo-treated tissue) and predicts the remaining 74.7% of them correctly (as normal controls). The same analysis is done for the other three classification matrices, with the only differences being the definitions of type 1 and type 0 tissues. For example, in the second matrix, type 1 refers to levonorgestrel-treated tissues and type 0 refers to normal controls.